- Discover the many ways that women have influenced and enhanced the practice of medicine. The individuals featured here provide an intriguing glimpse of the broader community of women doctors who are making a difference. The National Library of Medicine is pleased to present this exhibition honoring the lives and accomplishments of these women in the hope of inspiring a new generation of medical pioneers.
Changing the Face of Medicine: Celebrating America's Women Physicians at the National Library of Medicine closed November 19, 2005.
The National Library of Medicine in conjunction with the American Library Association has launched a traveling exhibition about the history of women physicians also called Changing the Face of Medicine, which is an adaptation of the 4,000 square foot exhibition display in Bethesda at the National Library of Medicine from October 2003 - November 2005.
The traveling exhibition features two computer kiosks that showcase the multimedia features of the original exhibition, including short films about women physicians past and present, educational activities, and career resources.
For more information, please visit the the
Traveling Exhibition page.
- Perform your own customized database search to learn about the woman physicians featured in this exhibition.
- Review medical career Web sites, print classroom lesson plans and view an extensive bibliographies.
- Check out these online interactive activities that use games and learning modules to bring issues of science and medicine to life. The Activities require the use of Macromedia Flash Player. Click the link to download Marcomedia Flash Player or view the text-only version.
- Post your story about a woman physician who you think should be part of this project and read stories that others have submitted.